Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Cathedral
While some esteem the gauzy frou-frou of Louis Sullivan’s last building—the Museum of Decorative Arts in Lincoln Square—the architect of the Auditorium and the Chicago Stock Exchange’s candy-box masterpiece may be this 1903 confection just off Division Street. Drawing on traditional Russian church architecture by way of the Byzantine, the intricate modesty of its gold-domed, whitewashed walls is more impressive in the context of the surrounding Ukrainian Village three-flats and the science fiction-styled hospital across Leavitt.
1121 North Leavitt
Best of Chicago 2002 (Updated 2011)